Searching for athletic data is unique to allow for variations in how the colleges report their sports participation. Special search instructions:
- If you know the exact name of the sport that you are looking for, put the name in double quotes. Example is "hockey".
- If you want to also get variations of a sport then just type in the name. Example is hockey. Note that the results for these searches will also include colleges that list the sport as hockey, ice hockey or field hockey.
- You can only search for one sport at a time. Do not put multiple sports in the Filters box.
- Remember that all GuidedPath searches look for overlaps or colleges that meet all the criteria that you specify. So if you put a sport in both the club and varsity boxes, you will be searching for colleges that have BOTH club and varsity sports of the type specified.
- If you want to see the association and division select the checkbox in the Compare column. In this case the sport name is what was put into the search filter such as "hockey" or hockey.
- You can sort the results column by clicking on any of the table headers, including the sports columns.
In many other ways, the search for athletics is similar to the other search criteria. You can combine the athletic search with other criteria on the other search tabs. You can also export the results.
Here are some example use cases and how to use the search including athletics:
USE CASE #1: Compare the sport options offered for swimming at the colleges on the student's college list. To generate this search make two selection on two tabs and then click on the Search button.
- On the General Information tab select My Colleges as the filter under the College Lists category. Also click on the City and State Compare checkboxes to get those details.
- On the Athletics tab click on the Compare checkbox next to Womens Varsity Sports and add Swimming into the Filters column.
The results of this search will look like this, showing the student's college list, location details and the sports information.
USE CASE #2: Find colleges in the state of Colorado that offer women's ice hockey as a club sport. To generate this search make two selection on two tabs and then click on the Search button.
- On the General Information tab select Colorado as the filter under the State category. Also click on the City Compare checkbox to get those details.
- On the Athletics tab ice hockey into the Filters column for Womens Club Sports.
The results of this search will look like this, showing the list of colleges and city and the club sport of ice hockey.