Invoices for each student can be accessed from the invoicing tab on the menu bar under the student picture of a student record.
Invoicing Functions in GuidedPath
When you click on Invoicing, you will see a menu bar with four functions listed: Financial Summary, Billing Items, Invoices, Payments. Below is a more detailed description of each function.
1) Financial Summary
The Financial summary tab allows you to see a summary of invoices against payments and only displays information. This section will be filled in for you as you add billing items, create invoices and take payments. You can print the financial summary by opening the drop down menu in the right hand corner of the summary and selecting Print Summary or Email summary.
2) Billing Items
Billing Items holds all pending billing entries. You can capture billing items in this section until you are ready to create an invoice.
- Quantity is the number of hours or quantity of items to be billed.
- Rate is the dollar amount that will be applied to the Quantity.
- Amount is calculated as the Quantity multiplied by the Rate.
Add Appointment or Assignment
From the Billing items section, you can decide what type of billing items to add to the student's record. You can select from two buttons: 1) Add Appointment or Assignment or 2) Add Billing Item
- Use the Add appointment or assignment button to pull up appointments listed in GuidedPath with the student, or assignments given to the student.
- Select the item by clicking on the green plus sign at the end of the row.
- This will add the selected item automatically to a student's billing items.
Appointments have a duration associated with them, which is automatically inserted into the billing item.
- To adjust the billing, adjust the duration of the appointment.
- If you are billing on a hourly rate, this rate will be calculated in an invoice.
Even if you do not bill in hourly increments, you can pull up appointments or assignments to document the time you are spending with students. You can change the hourly contract rate to 0, if you are billing a comprehensive plan. If you keep good records of the time you spend with students your billing will accurately calculate your total time.
Assignments have a duration of "All Day" associated with them.
- If you had an assignment that required your time or constitutes a billing item, adjust the quantity, rate and amount in the invoicing section.
NOTE: You can easily track the hours spent with a student using the add appointment function in invoicing. For complete accuracy, be sure to add all student appointments to GuidedPath.
Learn more about Adding Appointments in GuidedPath.
Add Billing Item
Using the Add billing item allows you flexibility to create a billing contract for your student that may not be based on quantity and rate. It also allows you to add descriptions to a billing item, which makes it easier to describe a service contract.
Once a billing entry is completed, it can be edited, deleted or added to an invoice.
Create an Invoice from Billing Items
When you are ready to create an invoice, you will click on the down arrow to the right of a billing entry to add it to a new invoice. The invoice is created on the bottom half of the screen.
- You can select which items go into an invoice.
- You can add credits and debits to an invoice.
- A Total is automatically calculated from all items added to the invoice.
- Once an item is added to an invoice, it is not seen in the billing section in the upper half of the screen.
- You cannot edit a billing item once it is added to an invoice.
From billing- you can move items to the Invoice section below.
Now there is an invoice with two items billing items ready to be finalized.
The person the invoice will be addressed to is displayed in the lower section of the invoice. The name and address are automatically inserted from the student's record.
To modify the recipient of the invoice, while still on the Billing Items tab (and before finalizing the invoice):
- Select the credit card icon next to the name and address in the lower right hand part of the invoice (see example above).
- Select the radio button next to the student or connection or custom address.
- The text box on the lower left with the note can also be modified by selecting the Edit button and then Save.
Once the invoice on the lower part of the Billing Entries tab looks correct, including the billing
entries, the recipient of the invoice and the text box:
- Select the Finalize Invoice button at the top of the invoice view, just above the invoice number.
- This will finalize the invoice based on the items added from the billing section.
GuidedPath is tracking your billing actions behind the scenes. When you select "Finalize Invoice" you might see the following notifications:
"There is a previous balance of xxxx on this account. Would you like to add this to the current invoice?"
Select Yes or No.
The Invoices tab shows all the finalized invoices for the student. You should know:
- Invoice numbers are assigned automatically as each invoice is generated.
- You cannot change the invoice numbers.
- You cannot change the invoice itself once it is in the Invoices section.
- You cannot change the billing contact in a finalized invoice.
- You cannot change the billing message in a finalized invoice.
Be aware of the following when deleting invoices:
- You can delete invoices and re-create new invoices.
- When you delete an invoice, you receive notification the items in the invoice will be returned to the Billing Items tab.
Sharing an Invoice
Under the Invoice Actions button you have two options:
- Print Invoice
- Email Invoice
Payments are tracked in the payments tab. Click on ‘Add new record’ in the upper right portion of the page to add a payment record. The payments section includes:
- Date payment was received.
- Payment Type can be cash, card, check, electronic, other.
- Description of the payment received. Include Transaction ID, check number, other information about payment.
- Amount of payment received.
At the end of each record are two buttons:
- Circle (Edit): Use to edit to make changes to a payment record.
- Delete (Cross): Use to delete a payment record.