As an advisor you have several special capabilities.
When you first log in to GuidedPath, you arrive on the Advisor Home page or a page with Advisor Shortcuts to other parts of GuidedPath. You can set a configuration item to determine which page you prefer. The home icon will always take you to the Advisors Home page. You can navigate to the Advisors Shortcuts or My Students page using the dropdown under your picture, or initial, on the top menu of any page.
Account Management (Settings and Configuration)
On the top menu of almost every page you will have an dropdown menu under your picture, or initial, (like the screenshot above) to manage your account.
Organization Configuration Settings:
Once in the My Account section, the Organization Configuration settings allows an organization to customize how GuidedPath will look for all users within the organization and what features are available. If a menu item is is not shown, then that feature will not be available to users. The Organization Configuration defines the default setting for all advisors, students and connections. The Modify? option defines whether a configuration setting can be changed by an advisor. If Modify=Yes, then an advisor can change the configuration for their own account. If Modify=No, then the setting cannot be changed by advisors.
Most of these settings are self explanatory, but here are a few of the unique ones:
- The Peer Advisor Access configuration allows an organization with more than one advisor to determine if they can work with each others' students. Every student is always assigned to one primary advisor, and that advisor always has full view and modify permissions on the student record. Access to a student's record for advisors that are in the same organization is determined by this configuration item as follows:
- May contribute: Allows advisors to view and modify student records even if they are not the primary advisor. Note that some permissions may be limited by other overriding factors such as privacy settings on surveys or other advisor or organization configurations.
- None: Restricts access to a student's record to only the primary advisor. Other advisors in the organization will not even be able to see the student's record.
- View only: Limits other advisors in the organization to only view the student's record. Primary advisors still have full access to work with the student's record, but changes cannot be made by other advisors in the organization, even if they have a contributing role.
- Surveys that require a preview of results will not show the results of the survey to the student or connection that has completed the survey until the advisor reviews and releases the results.
- Applications Default Milestones define the template that will be used when creating an application plan for the first time. This template can be updated to include any number of milestones and can be customized for international or transfer students. A key milestone is one that will be shown in the Upcoming Milestones. The Relative Deadline identifies how many days before the College Deadline date, the Student Deadline date will be set. Note that default application milestones can be created for specific colleges as well. The college specific milestones can be reached from the link in the Organization Configuration. Click here for more details on how application plans are created.
Details about the notification and reminder setting can be found by clicking here.
Advisor Configuration Settings:
The Advisor Configuration settings provide a subset of the Organization Configuration settings that allows one advisor within an organization to customize their account. Initially, the advisor settings will be the same as the organization configuration. Each advisor within the organization can have a different customization if the organization has the Modify?=Yes.
The Organization Information tab contains the key contact information and allows a logo to be uploaded and placed in the upper left hand of each page. The advisors that are part of the organization are also listed and the permission level assigned to each advisor can be modified with the Edit button.
The advisor information can be updated in the My Organization section or in the Profile. This includes contact information, account information and a picture.
Creating and Managing Student and Student Connection Accounts:
To add a new student, select the User Management tab and then the link for Student under Create New Users. The new user page will request a user name, which can be an email address or any other name, email address, first name and last name. These are all required fields. All students will have a role of Contributor, and this cannot be changed. The Primary Advisor that is assigned to the student can be selected for organizations with more than one advisor. The Primary Advisor is the one that email communications will identify. The default is to send a welcome registration email to the new student. You can uncheck the box if you do not want the student to have access to the GuidedPath.
Creating Student Connections can be done in two places. The best place to create the connection is from the Student's provide. However, a student connection can be created from the My Organization User Management tab. The process is similar as for a student with three differences:
- The Role can be either Supporter, which is basically a view-only mode, or Contributor, which allows the connection to provide inputs.
- Students must be selected by clicking on the Select blue button. This takes you to the Student Selection screen to selection the student by clicking on the row and then the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- Relationship defines where the connection will be added on the students Profile. This can be a family connection, such as mother, father, or an advisor, such as a coach or consultant.
Creating and Managing Advisor accounts:
Advisors are also created using the User Management tab and then selecting the Advisor link. The advisor will be given a role of Contributor or Administrator. An advisor with administrator role will be allowed to make changes to the organization. A contributor advisor can work with students. If you want to add an advisor that can only view, then the advisor should be added as a connection, not an advisor.
The advisor notes can be added and they are auto-saved on a continuous basis and when the notes are closed. These notes are available only to advisors within the organization. Students and parents do not see the advisor notes.